From 1955 until 1991, over 1500 underground posts were constructed and manned as a result of the Royal Observer Corps nuclear reporting roles. These posts were generally constructed to the same standard design of “a 14-foot-deep access shaft, a toilet/store and a monitoring room” These Royal Observer Corps Monitoring Post, or more simply known as ROC Posts would have been the front line during the Cold War should a nuclear attack have been launched on the UK allowing the Royal Observer Corps Volunteers to measure nuclear blast waves and radioactive fallout
Construction took place on 1563 ROC Posts between 1956 and 1965 along with about 30 larger headquarters and control centers. However as the threat from the Cold War reduced so did the need for ROC Posts with around about 500 of the posts being closed in 1968 during a reorganisation and major contraction of the ROC with the rest being closed down over the next few decades. By 1991 the Royal Observer Corps was disbanded and the final ROC Posts with them.
Since them a large number have been demolished, and a number that are still standing are now burnt out wrecks, flooded or vandalised.
There are however, still a few that remain in a semi reasonable condition...
Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/urbexuk
And twitter (@UKUrbex) https://twitter.com/UKUrbex
All images copyright 2015